Thursday, January 3, 2008

Paging Dr. Moron.

So, I was supposed to have a 2hr-fasting blood sugar test this morning. I canceled.

Chillax, dude. I have a good reason.

In 2007, my benefits were Coverage 80% with a $350 deductible.

In 2008, I upgraded my benefits to Coverage 90% no deductible.

In Dec 2007, Josh and I recalculated the cost of the delivery as quoted by the doctor's office for my 10% responsibility and paid out $210 of the then balance of $420 for a natural, uncomplicated childbirth.

I walk in this morning and have Accounts Receivable jumping on my ass about the remaining balance on delivery.

Now, think about this a moment. In 2007, had I delivered, we would have owed a total of $420, of which $210 was already paid. If I had delivered in 2007, yes, we would owe $210 or more. But it's now 2008. My new benefits kicked in Jan 1, 2008. I don't have a deductible. I'm only fiscally responsible for 10% of the total now. That means that I've paid my $210, and owe the doctor's office zelch, nothing, nada, zero, ningun centavo.

The Accting Rep's reply, "But your deductibles were reset. You'll owe more."
My reply, "Call my insurance and confirm that, willya? Cause I've upgraded my benefits and no longer have a deductible."
Accting Rep, "But it's still $420."
Me: "No, ma'am. $420 is 20%. $210 is 10%. I'm only responsible for 10% now. I'm not paying any more on this delivery unless it fails for follow the birth plan I had already laid out. But that's a bridge best crossed after the birth and not something I'm going to debate with you about."

Off she goes to confirm.

And guess what?
I was right.
Shocking, I know!

I may not understand a lot of things clearly the first time, but I've spent months reading my benefits package, calling my insurance, calling my HR Benefits Rep, calling my mother, and all but making a complete nuisance of myself to make sure that I was upgrading to a benefits plan that would be the best coverage for myself and my family. I did GOOD.

PS: She had to grab a calculator to figure out what 10% of $85 was. >.<' I have only one thing to say about that:

1-888-EDUCATE
"We have a class for that."*



*This is NOT the actual slogan, but a fake joke slogan Ceci, Heather, and I came up with when we all worked together at Sylvan in Round Rock, Texas.

No comments: