Thursday, November 8, 2007

An Update Long Over Due

I've been far too lax in my updating recently. I supposed because there's been litle drama to report. No news is good news?

But the low-down is that I've had my glucose screenings already, three of them to be exact, and each one is coming out 'normal'. Now, by 'normal' I mean that screening number one, my blood sugars were WAY too high. But I've heard that's true of nearly everyone. Test number two is the one I hate the most. three-four hours of blood work. I go in fasted, they draw blood. I have to drink the orange-fanta glucose soda of doom in five minutes (chug chug chug), then go away for an hour. Come back, draw blood, go away for an hour. Repeat two more times. It's gruelling, as I can't eat and can only have a few sips of water if I get really thirsty. Done at the start of October, what I thought was just going to knock me out for the morning, turned into an afternoon of exhaustion, and I passed out on the sofa shortly after getting home.

The results came back, and while techinically it wasn't diabetis, the fastest blood sugars came back way high, and the rest totally normal, if only a few points off being way too high. It made the doctors stop and think for two full weeks, while they watched my weight and body shape change. I've got the risk factors of being diabetic normally: Hispanic, overweight, and family history (thanks, Dad! :S Couldn't you have kept THAT to yourself?) Plus, I'm carrying my excess body weight (and always have) where diabetics typically carrying it, front and center.

It finally made the doctors want a third test to check if they could diagnosis it, if it was wild swings in my blood sugar or not. In I go for the morning only, 2hour screening. They take blood, I go eat and have a morning with the husband, and go back in two hours later for more blood. That was Monday.

Tuesday, I get a call from the Nurse Aide.
NA: "Good afternoon, Ms. Carranza. The results have come back and they were slightly elevated. We'd like you to come in for another three hour test as soon as possible. Is tomorrow good for you?"
Me: OMG! What? Umm.. let me try to get the day off...
NA: "If tomorrow's not good, we can do on Friday, but we'd really like it tomorrow."
Me: I'll call you back. O.O' OMG! *rush to the bosses office* Simon! Simon! The doctor called. Blood sugars are high again. They want another test tomorrow. It's the same one that knocked me out last time. Can I take the day?
Simon: YES!
Me: *run to call Josh* OMG OMG!! Blood sugars and high and test and-
Josh: This doesn't sound right. I don't want you to have it done until you talk to the DOCTOR.
Me: But-but-but- *insert tears here, cue co-workers staring at me in shock*
Josh: now!
Me: *calls doctor's office back* But-but-but-! I'm going to call the doctor. I have her cell phone.
NA: Okay. I'll pencil you in.
Me: I'm going home now. I've got to figure this out. I'll call in the morning and let everyone know if I'm here or not. I'm really sorry. *cue more tears, cue more estranged looks from the coworkers, stop at the store, get gravy for Josh cuz he's been sick and wants his favorite and I don't have any gravy mix inmy cupboard, get home, get undressed, toss in a load to wash, start in dinner*
Josh: Are you not talking to me?
Me: I'm sorry. I just wasn't loud enough.
Josh: What's wrong? Talk to me.
Me: *cue blubbering about all my fears, including something about feeling like Josh doesn't want me to check up on everything little thing to make sure baby's healthy and-*
Josh: *walks away*
Me: *cue more tears and crying, finish dinner, get it on the table*

We eat in relative silence, then the doctor calls me back.

Doc: What's wrong?
Me: We have questions! Why'd it take so long? Why all these test back to back? What are blood sugars at REALLY? We're confused!
Doc: *explantion on the blood counts and blah* If the last test was high, we'd skip any more tests, and go straight into You Have To Come In Right Away.
Me: Then why do I have to go tomorrow?
Doc: You don't, but I do want the three hour again after the 10th. Who said for you to go in?
Me: The Nurse Aide. She called, said my levels were high and they needed another test right now!
Doc: I'm going to hang her by her toenails. (Editor's note: The doctor didn't ACTUALLY say she was going to hang the poor Nurse Aide by the toenails, but she WAS pretty upset.) That is NOT what she was supposed to have told you! The results were normal! The fasted one was two points off adnormal and the 2hours after food was completely normal. The further along you get, the less tolerant your body becomes of glucose and the higher the chances of gestational diabetis. So, a repeat teh three hour 1 month after the first 3 hour and that is the nail in the coffin. (The pendejo in the coffin!! Inside joke, sorry.)
Me: Oh, so.. I'm fine?
Doc: Yes.
Me: And nothing's wrong?
Doc: No! *chuckle* You worry too much. That's why I had left clear instructions that they were to call you with a CLEAR result and that just to be formal and final, the next 3 hour needs to be some time after the 10th.
Me: Oh, thank god. I was panicking.
Doc: I could tell. Sorry it caused problems. I'll be /talking/ to Nurse's Aide in the morning.... TRUST ME.
Me: okay.

Whew. Still some tensions, hurtful words, and what nots, but at least THAT drama is behind us.

Now, back to party planning. OMG! Where am I going to find cute little party favors for all my party guests that won't cost my poor mother a rib?! -worry, again!-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Clauie!!

I remember the blood sugar test. You wanna know how sweet-toothed I got while I was pregnant? I *liked* that death-by-orange drink!

Oh, and WHY do your guests have to have party favors?? The last thing you need to be doing right now is spending extra money that's not necessary. WE want to buy YOU gifts, okay?? Maybe I'm in poor taste or I don't understand this shower thing...

Oh, I'm going to email you Heather Walker's email info because she hadn't even heard your happy news and said she wanted to stay in touch with you. Email me what address you want me to send it to, please!