Friday, March 14, 2008

My Vote and the Future

I've gotten into the habit listening to NPR (National Public Radio) in the mornings and evenings on my way to and from work. While, I've never really been interested in national politics and so forth, current events really have opened my eyes and ears to the world around me. With Lori's well-being in the forefront of my heart now, I'm getting more and more concerned about the state of the Union and what my not-so-tiny (IMO) voice can do to make it better, safer, and healthier for her.

That said, the Democratic National Convention and their tardness about their nominee has really made me sad. It's public in-fighting at its best. But then, I suppose that's the democratic process at its finest. Unfortunately, I don't really like either one of their candidates. But due to the way the media works in this country, I didn't even know who the 'other guy' was until earlier this week.

Turns out that John McCain won the Republican's Nomination.

"So," you ask?

Well, I caught a story about him on NPR this afternoon, and his stance on the War in Iraq. I never knew that he'd stated, back in 2003, that the best strategy to win the war was to significant and quickly increase the number of active troops in Iraq. He's been offering the military the support that it has yet to fully receive. Yes, the War's not popular. But, it's still something we got ourselves into. Are we going to quit just cause it's getting hard to do? And more than that, he hasn't changed his view-point on the subject from the get-go. Unlike a certain menopausal, hormonal someone we all know. Which calls to mind a MadTV skit Josh told me about. Apparently, MadTV did a spoof about that 'It's 3AM and a phone is ringing in the White House' Ad of hers. ANyway, they cut to the oval Office and here comes a faux Hilary, night robe and curlers. She picks up the phone and goes OFF: "It's three in the morning?! What the hell do you think you're doing, calling at this insane hour?! Don't you know that people are trying to SLEEP?!" And it ends with, "World Crisis. Menopause. You do the math." Classic. Anyway, back to my rant...

So, McCain hasn't changed his stance. I can respect that. But Josh's comments on the matter tonight over dinner was the nail in my coffin, the nail that made me go, 'oh-shit. I've got to get registered and I've got to vote at this election. I've done it once, I think... or went with Mom to do it. But, I have to do it!'

Okay, Josh did his homework on this. He's been following the start of the Presidential Race as well, and after some reading, he's discovered that the US has to end this War we find ourselves still in. If we don't, he can see only one possible outcome: World War 3.

  1. Since the start of the war, Iraq has stopped selling oil. Yes, they had embargoes, but they got around those by using the Oil for Food Program. France was their biggest customer. Since the war began and they stopped exporting, France doesn't much like us.
  2. The US is running a $9 trillion debt, and to date, that debt is growing. Worse, China is "one of the principle buyers and owners of long term US debt over the past decade and only very recently bumped the UK from its spot as the second-largest foreign owner of US securities." This alone is scary, because China is supplying Iran arms and weapons. Worse:
    Evidence continues to mount suggesting that the People's Republic of China (PRC) is determined to satisfy every Iranian military demand, including that for weapons of mass destruction (WMD). A top secret Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) analysis in October 19961 concluded that the Chinese government had sold a wide range of equipment to Iran in 1996: missile technology and components for an advanced radar system; 400 metric tons of chemicals used in producing nerve agents and riot control gas; gyroscopes, accelerometers and test equipment used to build and test missile guidance components; and advanced radar-guided C-802 anti-ship cruise missiles.
  3. If we fail in Iraq, we not only loose face in the region, but credibility with the European Union (for the invasion in the first place), and the ability to effectively police Iran in the future. Think about it. If we try to stop Iran from doing anything, China can cash that check against us with the World Bank, and really: what could we do then? We couldn't pay that. We'd have no credit left with the Bank, no credit with Europe. China would, for all intents and purposes, Own the United States. The United Communist States of China's America. UCSCA
Frightening thought! I'm registering. I'm voting. And I'm voting for McCain. We have to win this fight, right or wrong, it's too late now. We have to finish what we've started. We have to knuckle down, make the sacrifices, and just do this.

No comments: